Macromill, Inc. (hereinafter, "Macromill") contributes to society by providing information about consumer awareness and behavior to corporations and organizations through market research, public opinion research, and social research and medical related survey (hereinafter collectively called "marketing research").
In doing so, to protect personal information of Macromill's information source, i.e. consumers, Macromill complies with the Marketing Research Code of Conduct and the Marketing Research Industry Guidelines for Protection of Personal Information as stipulated by the Japan Marketing Research Association (JMRA).
1. Appropriate acquisition, use, and provision of personal information
2. Safety management of personal information
Macromill prevents and rectifies unauthorized access to personal information and the loss, destruction, falsification, and leak of personal information by taking organizational, human, physical, and technical security measures.
3. Compliance with laws, regulations, and other rules about the protection of personal information
When Macromill handles personal information, Macromill complies with domestic laws and regulations about personal information protection, guidelines set down by the governing authorities, the Marketing Research Code of Conduct and the Marketing Research Industry Guidelines for Protection of Personal Information set down by the JMRA, and other relevant rules.
4. Continuous improvement of Macromill's personal information protection management system
5. Handling of complaints and inquiries
If you have any inquiries and complaints about Macromill's handling of personal information, you can contact Macromill as shown in the “Inquiries and complaints” section of this document.
For personal information subject to disclosure, Macromill will promptly handle requests from an individual or his/her representative to show usage purposes, to disclose, correct, add, or delete personal information, or to stop using it, erase it, or stop providing it to a third party.
June 30, 2016 (Established)
December 14, 2018 (Last modified)
Scott Ernst, Representative Executive Officer, Global CEO
Purposes of use of personal information
Macromill’s main business is marketing research. Macromill surveys consumer awareness and behavior about products and services, and provides the information obtained through the survey to companies, other organization s, etc..
Macromill may collect names and addresses in advance to identify survey respondents from people who register as respondents on Macromill’s website, responses on survey response pages and at interview venues and/or Macromill’s clients who outsource marketing research to Macromill. Macromill uses the information collected from various sources in an appropriate and fair way.
Macromill uses the personal information of survey respondents that is collected through the procedure prior to conducting marketing research and during marketing research for the purposes below. If Macromill uses the personal information for a purpose other than the purposes below (hereinafter “the purpose related to marketing research and the like”), Macromill will notify the survey respondents of the details of such usage by stipulating such details in Macromill’s terms and conditions posted on Macromill’s website, other documents, etc., and/or by email or phone call.
- Information required for marketing research activities, such as selection of survey respondents, request for participation, sending of survey sheets, examination and analysis of the results, and delivery of the results to Macromill's clients
- Visit and activities of a researcher in an interview or a door-to-door survey
- Provision/redemption of points, payment of gratuities, and sending free gifts and samples to survey respondents
- Responses to inquiries from survey respondents, and contacts to check the details of support and registered information
- Identity verification, display of registered information, and other procedures on the membership page of a survey respondent
- Campaign or reward relevant to the operation of a marketing research, sending of email newsletters, etc. ;
- Development of marketing solutions; and
- Other activities accompanying or related to the above
2．Transactions such as business activities
When Macromill's business partners such as Macromill's customers and related companies inquire about Macromill's services or participate in a seminar or campaign sponsored or supported by Macromill, Macromill will use personal information collected from Macromill's business partners for the purposes defined below:
- For negotiation, communication, discussion, examination, order placement, settlement, and response about business transactions
- For providing and receiving services based on business transactions; and
- For providing, collecting, and transmitting information about Macromill's services
Macromill use the personal information of a job seeker who applied for or inquired about Macromill's job offer for the following purposes. If the job seeker has joined Macromill, Macromill will use the personal information of the applicant for employment management.
- To provide recruitment information to the job seeker
- To examine and determine whether or not to employ the job seeker and provide notification of the result; and
- To check application history
4．Response to Macromill's shareholderss
Macromill will use the personal information about Macromill's shareholders for the following purposes:
- To enable the exercise of rights or the fulfillment of obligations as shareholders under the laws
- To provide benefits to shareholders
- To take measures to promote a favorable relationship between shareholders and Macromill; and
- For shareholder management, such as the creation of shareholder data based on specific standards under laws and regulations
Personal information subject to disclosure
“Personal information subject to disclosure” means the personal information that forms part of a collection of information in such a way that specific personal information can be retrieved by a computer, or a collection of information to which a fixed set of rules is applied to arrange the personal information contained therein so that it is structurally organized to enable specific personal information to be easily retrieved from it, and which has a table of contents, an index, or anything else that aids in retrieval, which Macromill is permitted to respond to all requests made by the person relating to such information to disclose, correct, add or delete the information, or suspend its use, erase it, or suspend its provision to a third party.”
The following shows the types of personal information subject to disclosure that Macromill handles and its purposes of use. Macromill treats any information as personal information subject to disclosure only when the above definition applies.
1．Types of personal information subject to disclosure
Information about survey respondents
Information that includes the name, address, age, date of birth, and e-mail address that the survey respondent has registered on the website operated by Macromill and other information that Macromill has obtained during marketing research
Information about business partners
Information provided to Macromill by business partners, such as the name, telephone numbers (including mobile and fax numbers), e-mail address, company/organization name, division name, title, workplace address, and other contact information
Information about job seekers
Name, telephone numbers (including mobile and fax numbers), address, age, date of birth, e-mail address, and other information described in the CV or provided by the job seeker to Macromill via the website operated by Macromill
Information about shareholders
Name, address, and other information in the shareholder registry
2．Purposes of use of personal information subject to disclosure
Request to disclose personal information subject to disclosure
For personal information subject to disclosure, Macromill will promptly handle requests from the person concerned or his/her representative to show usage purposes, to disclose, correct, add, or delete personal information, or to stop using it, erase it, or stop providing it to a third party.
Click here for the types of information for which you can request the above actions.
1．Contacts for the request for disclosure
For the information provided as Macromill's monitor on the website operated by Macromill, use the e-mail address and login password that you used to register as a monitor to log in to the website operated by Macromill. Then move to the Macromill monitor page (MY page) to ask for disclosure etc. Macromill will handle the request promptly.
For the disclosure of information that cannot be handled at (1), please complete Macromill's form described below, enclose all the required documents, and mail them to the following address. Please write, “Request form for disclosure of personal information enclosed,” in red on the envelope.
Personal information protection administrator, Macromill, Inc.
11th Floor, Shinagawa East One Tower, 2-16-1, Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-0075
2．Documents to submit when you request for disclosure etc.
When you request for disclosure using the method in (2) above, please download the request form (i), fill in the necessary information, and enclose two of the documents listed at (ii) for personal identification.
For a request for disclosure from a legal representative of a minor or an adult ward or from a representative appointed by the person who delegated the request, please also enclose the following documents in addition to the documents listed in the preceding section.
For a legal representative (one copy of each of a, b, and c)
Document that verifies the legal representation authority
One copy of the family register, extract of family register, certificate from the court of domestic solutions, certified copy of registration, or any other document that proves the qualification
* It must be a copy that was issued within 30 days before the request for disclosure.
* Please black out the registered domicile information before submission.
Document that identifies the person with parental authority or the guardian of the adult
One copy of the driver’s license, passport, health insurance card, or basic resident registration card that indicates the same name and address as those in the form of the person who request the disclosure
* Please black out the registered domicile information before submission.
One original certified copy of the residence certificate (photocopy not acceptable)
For a representative by proxy (one copy of each of a and b)
3．Fees for requests of notification of purposes of use and disclosure of information
For a request of notification of purposes of use or disclosure of personal information from the person concerned or the representative, Macromill requests 300 yen as a fee (tax inclusive) and 430 yen as postage (recorded delivery) for each request. Please pay the fee by transferring it to the bank account designated by Macromill (bank transfer fee is to be borne at your expense).
4．Method for responding to a request for disclosure
Macromill will mail the response to the address of the applicant indicated in the request form.
5．Purposes of use of personal information acquired about a request for disclosure etc.
Macromill will use the personal information acquired about the request for disclosure etc. to the extent necessary to handle the request. The submitted documents will be stored for two years after the response to the request is completed and will be disposed of after such period.
6．When Macromill cannot fulfill a request
Please note that Macromill cannot fulfill a request of disclosure if any of (i) to (x) below applies. In that case, Macromill will notify the applicant of that effect with the reason.
- When Macromill cannot identify the individual, for example, because the addresses indicated in the form, indicated in the documents for identification, and registered at Macromill do not match
- When Macromill cannot verify the right of representation of a representative for a request by the representative
- When the application documents are deficient
- When the information that the applicant asks to disclose is not personal information subject to disclosure
- When the fulfillment may risk the life, body, or property of the individual or a third party
- When the fulfillment may encourage or induce illegal or unjust acts
- When the fulfillment may risk national security, damage the relationship of trust with other countries or international organizations, or cause a disadvantage in negotiations with other countries or international organizations
- When the fulfillment may obstruct the prevention, suppression, or investigation of crimes or the maintenance of public safety and order
- When the fulfillment may obstruct Macromill's appropriate business operations seriously
- When the fulfillment violates laws and regulations
Provision of personal information to third parties
Macromill manages collected personal information properly. Macromill will not provide information which can, by itself and without checking with any other information, identify the specific individual directly, such as name, address, phone number, email address, etc., to any third party without the prior consent of the individual except in the following cases.
- When the provision is based on laws and regulations
- When the provision is required to protect the life, body, or property of any person, and it is difficult to obtain the hereinafter, consent of the individual
- When the provision is particularly required to improve public health or promote sound child development, and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the individual
- When the provision is required to support the activities defined under the law that are conducted by governmental organizations, local governments, or those who are delegated by them, and the acquisition of the consent from the individual may obstruct the conduct of such activities
- When Macromill asks other research companies (hereinafter “partner research companies”) for cooperation in marketing research, and Macromill needs to check for the existence of any overlapping of monitors between the partner research companies and Macromill
- When Macromill’s clients ask Macromill about the existence of any overlapping between their monitors, members, customers, and Macromill’s survey respondents, and Macromill needs to answer the inquiry to the extent required for conducting marketing research activities
*In the cases set forth in (v) and (vi) above, Macromill shall impose on the party to whom personal information is provided a condition that such party must not use the same for any purpose other than the foregoing, and Macromill shall provide such personal information after it has been encrypted.
Macromill may provide the following information, which cannot, by itself, identify a specific individual, for the purpose related to marketing research and the like to Macromill’s clients and third parties who have entered into contractual relationship with Macromill such as alliance partners (hereinafter “clients and the like”) : ID allocated by Macromill to the survey respondents for the purpose of information management (“Monitor ID”), attribute information of the survey respondents, the contents of the survey respondents’ responses and the like. Clients and the like may use the information provided by Macromill, and may use the same in combination with information owned by clients and the like for the purpose related to marketing research and the like.
Macromill may subcontract handling of personal information to a third party within the extent of the purposes of use. In that case, Macromill makes a contract with the third party about personal information protection, and oblige the third party to take appropriate safety management measures.
Macromill’s Joint Usage of Personal Information with Macromill Subsidiaries and Affiliates
Macromill may use personal information obtained by Macromill jointly as follows. Macromill will make efforts to maintain the strict information management when using personal information jointly.
- The scope of the joint users: Macromill and group companies of Macromill (the companies which are introduced as group companies on the website of Macromill (https://www.macromill.com/company/group.html)
- The name of the person or business operator responsible for the management of the joint usage: Macromill
Provision of personal data to third parties located overseas
Macromill will not provide personal data obtained by Macromill to third parties located overseas, which means countries or areas located outside Japan, without the consent of the person relating to such personal data, except in any of the following cases:
- Macromill provides the personal data to the third parties located in the countries which have systems of personal data protection equivalent to those of Japan in terms of protecting rights and interests of the individuals set forth in the rules of Personal Information Protection Commission;
- The implementation of measures regarding the handling of such personal data according to the intent of laws and in a sufficient and reasonable manner, is ensured between Macromill and the third parties who receive personal data from Macromill;
- The third parties who receive personal data are certified under certain global frameworks regarding the handling of personal data;
- Any of the case set forth in item 1 of “Provision of personal information to third parties”;
- The express consent of the individual is obtained with regard to the provision of personal information to third parties;
- Macromill provides information which cannot, by itself, identify the specific individual, such as Monitor IDs of survey respondents, attribute information of survey respondents, or the contents of survey respondents’ responses to the survey, to Macromill’s clients located overseas (regardless of the country) for conducting marketing research; or
- Macromill provides information for the purpose of subcontracting all or a part of the marketing research or the development of marketing solutions, to the extent necessary, to such subcontractor.
Inquiries and complaints
For inquiries and complaints about the handling of personal information by Macromill, please contact Macromill at the following:
For inquiries about the handling of personal information by Macromill, contact:
Macromill personal information help desk
11th Floor, Shinagawa East One Tower, 2-16-1, Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-0075
TEL： 03-6716-0700 / E-mail：email@example.com
Chief Privacy Officer: Corporate officer, business management head office
For questions about a Macromill monitor, please visit, here
Macromill is a member of the following certified personal information protection group:
Personal Information Protection Consultation Service Office,
Japan Information Processing Development Corporation
Roppongi First Building, 1-9-9, Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032
TEL： 03-5860-7565 / TEL： 0120-700-779
Cookies and similar technologies
If you want to disable cookies, click the opt-out button below. After you opt out, your website browsing history will not be collected. If you change your browser or delete cookies, you must configure these settings again. Please note that, if you disable cookies, you cannot use some of the services Macromill provides.
Cancel opt out (opt in)
2．Use of cookie information by third-party companies
Please note that Macromill may allow third-party companies, such as Macromill’s partners, to send cookies to the browsers of survey respondents on the website operated by Macromill.
Please note that, on the websites operated by third-party companies that Macromill's survey respondents visit during research, the companies may send cookies. In this case, the third-party companies obtain and manage cookie information under their privacy policies.
Macromill’s smart device application for survey respondents (hereinafter “this application”) obtains an Android Advertising ID in an Android device or IDFA in an iOS device to investigate the advertisement viewing behavior of survey respondents, etc. Macromill may use the collected information to improve service convenience to users and conduct marketing research and optimization of advertisement delivery. If you want to stop providing advertising identifiers, please restrict (opt out of) advertising identifiers according to the instructions on each website below. If a survey respondent takes this action, the use of service in this application may be restricted, or some of the functions built in the service may not be available, because this setting influences the smart device.