MACROMILL, INC. (hereinafter the “Company”) contributes to society by providing information about consumer awareness and behavior to corporations and organizations through market research, public opinion research, social research and medical related survey (hereinafter collectively called "marketing research").
In doing so, to protect personal information of the Company’s information source, i.e. consumers, the Company complies with the Marketing Research Code of Conduct and the Marketing Research Industry Guidelines for Protection of Personal Information as stipulated by the Japan Marketing Research Association (JMRA).
1. Appropriate acquisition, use, and provision of personal information
2. Safety management of personal information
The Company prevents and rectifies unauthorized access to personal information and the loss, destruction, falsification, and leak of personal information by taking organizational, human, physical, and technical security measures.
3. Compliance with laws, regulations, and other rules about the protection of personal information
When the Company handles personal information, the Company complies with domestic laws and regulations about personal information protection, guidelines set down by the governing authorities, the Marketing Research Code of Conduct and the Marketing Research Industry Guidelines for Protection of Personal Information set down by the JMRA, and other relevant rules.
4. Continuous improvement of the Company’s personal information protection management system
5. Handling of complaints and inquiries
If you have any inquiries and complaints about the Company’s handling of personal information, you can contact the Company as shown in the “Inquiries and complaints” section of this document.
For personal information subject to disclosure, the Company will promptly handle requests from an individual or his/her representative to show usage purposes, to disclose, correct, add, or delete personal information, or to stop using it, erase it, or stop providing it to a third party.
- February 25, 2020 (last modified)
Scott Ernst, Representative Executive Officer, Global CEO
The Company obtained the Privacy Mark on January 9th, 2004. The Company will keep endeavoring to treat the personal information safe and properly, and maintain and improve the system that enables everyone to use the services at ease.
<For more information about handling of personal information, please visit the links below>
Purposes of use of personal information
The Company’s main business is marketing research. The Company surveys consumer awareness and behavior about products and services, and provides the information obtained through the survey to companies, other organization s, etc...
The Company’s methods to acquire the personal information in the process of conducting the marketing research business and the information mainly acquired by the Company are as follows.
||Information mainly acquired
Acquisition from the information registered by the survey respondents themselves via the Company’s website, etc.
Name, Address, Birth date, Age and Email address
Acquisition from the answers given by the survey respondents for online or offline questionnaires
Contents of the answers for the questionnaires
Acquisition from the survey respondent's remarks or other stuff in interview surveys.
Contents of the survey respondent's remarks made during an interview survey, or information acquired by observing the whole survey or by using measuring instruments, etc.
Acquisition from the survey respondents’ access logs to websites and their access logs to web advertisements
Access logs to websites, Access logs to web advertisements, User Agent and/or IP address
Acquisition through the applications provided by the Company
Advertisement ID, Operation logs of the devices and/or applications,* and/or Location information*
* Acquired only from the survey respondents who have turned on the button for indicating their consents, which is in the application provided by the Company
Acquisition through the provision of information from entrusters of the marketing research operations (the Company’s clients)
Information concerning the survey respondents possessed by the clients.
Acquisition from the third party with which the Company having partnership*
* The personal information that will be acquired shall be limited to which the said third party is able to provide to the Company under the law, such as the personal information of which the said third party obtained a consent on provision from the survey respondent.
Information concerning the survey respondents, possessed by the clients.
Acquisition from the information being published online or offline*
* e.g. Information published on websites, or newspapers commercially available
Information published online or offline
Other acquisition methods accompanying or related to the Company’s marketing research business
Various information according to the acquisition method
The Company uses the personal information of survey respondents that is collected through each of the methods above for the purposes below. If the Company uses the personal information for a purpose other than the purposes below (hereinafter “the purpose related to marketing research and the like”), the Company will notify the survey respondents of the details of such usage by stipulating such details in the Company’s terms and conditions posted on the Company’s website, other documents, etc., and/or by email or phone call.
- Information required for marketing research activities, such as selection of survey respondents, request for participation, sending of survey sheets, examination and analysis of the survey results, and provision of the survey results to the Company’s clients (including, but not limited to the provision of the survey results by the Company with assuming the following; Re-provision of the survey results by the Company’s client to the end-client* in the case that it conducts a marketing research entrusted by the said end-client, or re-provision of the said results by the Company's client to the partners, etc. of joint implementation of a marketing research in the case that it implements the said marketing research with multiple companies), or other matters required for the implementation of marketing research;
* The end-client refers to the customer of the Company’s client
- Visit and activities of a researcher in an interview or a door-to-door survey;
- Delivery of targeted advertisements for the purpose of extracting survey respondents*;
* For example, in order to ask survey respondents about the recognition or impression, etc. of the web advertisements which are the subject of marketing research (hereinafter referred to as the “Research Target Web Advertisements”), we may deliver the Research Target Web Advertisements through the web services that the said survey respondents are using on a daily basis.
- Matters required for the implementation of extended advertisement delivery** (the method such as finding out users acting analogous to the users who have visited the website, but those who have not visited the said website yet, and deliver targeted advertisements to them, or finding out users acting analogous to the users who have purchased a certain merchandise or service, and deliver targeted advertisements to them) by the Company’s clients;
** Since extended advertisement delivery is a method to find out users whose purchase behaviors or web behaviors are analogous to the survey respondents and deliver advertisements to them, it is not what delivers advertisements directly targeting the survey respondents.
- Provision/redemption of points, payment of gratuities, and sending free gifts and samples to survey respondents;
- Responses to inquiries from survey respondents, and contacts to check the details of support and registered information;
- Identity verification, display of registered information, and other procedures on the membership page of a survey respondent;
- Campaign or reward relevant to the operation of a marketing research, sending of email newsletters, etc.;
- Development and improvement of advertisement delivery model, purchase prediction model and other marketing solutions; and
- Other activities accompanying or related to the above.
2．Transactions such as business activities
When the Company’s business partners such as the Company’s customers and related companies inquire about the Company’s services or participate in a seminar or campaign sponsored or supported by the Company, the Company will use personal information collected from the Company’s business partners for the purposes defined below:
- For negotiation, communication, discussion, examination, order placement, settlement, and response about business transactions;
- For providing and receiving services based on business transactions; and
- For providing, collecting, and transmitting information about the Company’s services.
The Company uses the personal information of a job seeker who applied for or inquired about the Company’s job offer for the following purposes. If the job seeker has joined the Company, the Company will use the personal information of the applicant for employment management.
- To provide recruitment information to the job seeker;
- To examine and determine whether or not to employ the job seeker and provide notification of the result; and
- To check application history.
4．Response to the Company’s shareholders
The Company will use the personal information about the Company’s shareholders for the following purposes:
- To enable the exercise of rights or the fulfillment of obligations as shareholders under the laws;
- To provide benefits to shareholders;
- To take measures to promote a favorable relationship between shareholders and the Company; and
- For shareholder management, such as the creation of shareholder data based on specific standards under laws and regulations.
5. Use of published information
The Company will use information published online or offline for the following purposes:
- Implementation of marketing research
- Development and improvement of marketing solutions
Personal information subject to disclosure
“Personal information subject to disclosure” means the personal information that forms part of a collection of information in such a way that specific personal information can be retrieved by a computer, or a collection of information to which a fixed set of rules is applied to arrange the personal information contained therein so that it is structurally organized to enable specific personal information to be easily retrieved from it, and which has a table of contents, an index, or anything else that aids in retrieval, which the Company is permitted to respond to all requests made by the person relating to such information to disclose, correct, add or delete the information, or suspend its use, erase it, or suspend its provision to a third party.”
The following shows the types of personal information subject to disclosure that the Company handles and its purposes of use. The Company treats any information as personal information subject to disclosure only when the above definition applies.
1．Types of personal information subject to disclosure
2．Purposes of use of personal information subject to disclosure
Request to disclose personal information subject to disclosure
For personal information subject to disclosure, the Company will promptly handle requests from the person concerned or his/her representative to show usage purposes, to disclose, correct, add, or delete personal information, or to stop using it, erase it, or stop providing it to a third party.
Click here for the types of information for which you can request the above actions.
1．Contacts for the request for disclosure
For the information provided as the Company’s monitor on the website operated by the Company, use the e-mail address and login password that you used to register as a monitor to log in to the website operated by the Company. Then move to the MACROMILL monitor page (MY page) to ask for disclosure etc. The Company will handle the request promptly.
For the disclosure of information that cannot be handled at (1), please complete the Company’s form described below, enclose all the required documents, and mail them to the following address. Please write, “Request form for disclosure of personal information enclosed,” in red on the envelope.
Personal information protection administrator, MACROMILL, INC.
11th Floor, Shinagawa East One Tower, 2-16-1, Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-0075
2．Documents to submit when you request for disclosure etc.
When you request for disclosure using the method in (2) above, please download the request form (i), fill in the necessary information, and enclose two of the documents listed at (ii) for personal identification.
For a request for disclosure from a legal representative of a minor or an adult ward or from a representative appointed by the person who requests the disclosure, please also enclose the following documents in addition to the documents listed in the preceding section.
For a legal representative (one copy of each of a, b, and c)
Document that verifies the legal representation authority
One copy of the family register, extract of family register, certificate from the court of domestic solutions, certified copy of registration, or any other document that proves the qualification
* It must be a copy that was issued within 30 days before the request for disclosure.
* Please black out the registered domicile information before submission.
Document that identifies the person with parental authority or the guardian of the adult One copy of the driver’s license, passport, health insurance card, or basic resident registration card that indicates the same name and address as those in the form of the person who requests the disclosure
* Please black out the registered domicile information before submission.
One original certified copy of the residence certificate (photocopy not acceptable)
For a representative by proxy (one copy of each of a and b)
3．Fees for requests of notification of purposes of use and disclosure of information
For a request of notification of purposes of use or disclosure of personal information from the person concerned or the representative, the Company requests 300 yen as a fee (tax inclusive) and 430 yen as postage (recorded delivery) for each request. Please pay the fee by transferring it to the bank account designated by the Company (bank transfer fee is to be borne at your expense).
4．Method for responding to a request for disclosure
The Company will mail the response to the address of the applicant indicated in the request form.
5．Purposes of use of personal information acquired about a request for disclosure etc.
The Company will use the personal information acquired about the request for disclosure etc. to the extent necessary to handle the request. The submitted documents will be stored for two years after the response to the request is completed and will be disposed of after such period.
6．When the Company cannot fulfill a request
Please note that the Company cannot fulfill a request of disclosure if any of (i) to (x) below applies. In that case, the Company will notify the applicant of that effect with the reason.
- When the Company cannot identify the individual, for example, because the addresses indicated in the form, indicated in the documents for identification, and registered at the Company do not match
- When the Company cannot verify the right of representation of a representative for a request by the representative
- When the application documents are deficient
- When the information that the applicant asks to disclose is not personal information subject to disclosure
- When the fulfillment may risk the life, body, or property of the individual or a third party
- When the fulfillment may encourage or induce illegal or unjust acts
- When the fulfillment may risk national security, damage the relationship of trust with other countries or international organizations, or cause a disadvantage in negotiations with other countries or international organizations
- When the fulfillment may obstruct the prevention, suppression, or investigation of crimes or the maintenance of public safety and order
- When the fulfillment may obstruct the Company's appropriate business operations seriously
- When the fulfillment violates laws and regulations
Provision of personal information to third parties
The Company manages personal information it has acquired properly. The Company will not provide information which can identify the specific individual directly, such as name, address, phone number, email address, etc., to any third party without the prior consent of the individual except in the following cases.
- When the provision is based on laws and regulations
- When the provision is required to protect the life, body, or property of any person, and it is difficult to obtain the hereinafter, consent of the individual
- When the provision is particularly required to improve public health or promote sound child development, and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the individual
- When the provision is required to support the activities defined under the law that are conducted by governmental organizations, local governments, or those who are delegated by them, and the acquisition of the consent from the individual may obstruct the conduct of such activities
- When the Company asks other research companies (hereinafter “partner research companies”) for cooperation in marketing research, and the Company needs to check for the existence of any overlapping of monitors between the partner research companies and the Company
- When the Company’s clients ask the Company about the existence of any overlapping between their monitors, members, customers, and the Company’s survey respondents, the Company needs to answer the inquiry to the extent required for conducting marketing research activities
*In the cases set forth in (v) and (vi) above, the Company shall impose on the party to whom personal information is provided a condition that such party must not use the same for any purpose other than the foregoing, and the Company shall provide such personal information after it has been encrypted.
The Company may provide the following information (including, but not limited to the case the Clients and the like (after-mentioned) re-provides the said information to a third party), which cannot, by itself, identify a specific individual, for the purpose related to marketing research and the like to the third parties who have entered into contractual relationship with the Company such as the Company’s clients or alliance partners (hereinafter the “Clients and the like”) : ID allocated by the Company to the survey respondents for the purpose of information management (“Monitor ID”), attribute information of the survey respondents, the contents of the survey respondents’ responses, website access logs, and the like. The Clients and the like may use the information provided by the Company, and may use the same in combination with information owned by the Clients and the like for the purpose related to marketing research and the like. As it may be able to identify a specific individual by combining the information the Company provides and the information the Clients and the like possess, the Company shall stipulate the following rules between the Clients and the like;
- The information provided by the Company shall be used within the range of the purpose related to marketing research and the like;
- The information provided by the Company shall not be used to re-identify an individual by means such as associating the said information with the information which is able to identify a specific individual possessed by the Clients and the like including without limitation, name, address, phone number or email address.
- The Company and the Clients and the like shall specify the range of persons or entities to which the said Clients and the like can re-provide, and the purpose of use of the receiver of the re-provided information to which the Company agrees.
The Company may subcontract handling of personal information to a third party within the extent of the purposes of use. In that case, the Company makes a contract with the third party about personal information protection, and obliges the third party to take appropriate safety management measures.
For the personal information provided by the Company to a third party, the personal information protection policy of the said third party shall be applied
The Company’s Joint Usage of Personal Information with the Company Subsidiaries and Affiliates
The Company may use personal information obtained by the Company jointly as follows. The Company will make efforts to maintain the strict information management when using personal information jointly.
- The scope of the joint users: The Company and group companies of the Company (the companies which are introduced as group companies on the website of the Company (https://www.macromill.com/global/company/group.html))
- The name of the person or business operator responsible for the management of the joint usage: The Company
Provision of personal data to third parties located overseas
The Company will not provide personal data obtained by the Company to third parties located overseas, which means countries or areas located outside Japan, without the consent of the person relating to such personal data, except in any of the following cases:
- The Company provides the personal data to the third parties located in the countries which have systems of personal data protection equivalent to those of Japan in terms of protecting rights and interests of the individuals set forth in the rules of Personal Information Protection Commission;
- The implementation of measures regarding the handling of such personal data according to the intent of laws and in a sufficient and reasonable manner, is ensured between the Company and the third parties who receive personal data from the Company;
- The third parties who receive personal data are certified under certain global frameworks regarding the handling of personal data;
- Any of the case set forth in item 1 of “Provision of personal information to third parties”;
- The express consent of the individual is obtained with regard to the provision of personal information to third parties;
- The Company provides information which cannot, by itself, identify the specific individual, such as Monitor IDs of survey respondents, attribute information of survey respondents, or the contents of survey respondents’ responses to the survey, to the Company’s clients located overseas (regardless of the country) for conducting marketing research; or
- The Company provides information for the purpose of subcontracting all or a part of the marketing research or the development of marketing solutions, to the extent necessary, to such subcontractor.
Inquiries and complaints
For inquiries and complaints about the handling of personal information by the Company, please contact us at the following:
For inquiries about the handling of personal information by MACROMILL, please contact:
MACROMILL personal information help desk
11th Floor, Shinagawa East One Tower, 2-16-1, Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-0075
Tel： 03-6716-0700, E-mail: email@example.com
Chief Privacy Officer: Executive officer in charge of the Legal and General Affairs department
* For questions about a MACROMILL monitor, please visit here.
The Company is a member of the following certified personal information protection group:
Personal Information Protection Consultation Service Office,
Japan Information Processing Development Corporation
Roppongi First Building, 1-9-9, Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032
Tel: 03-5860-7565, TEL: 0120-700-779